Mobile Home Tenancy Plan

Provincial Election Platform Policy

An Alberta Party government moves to protect more Albertan mobile home residents.

An Alberta Party government would allow mobile homes and condominium owners to address their issues through the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (RTDRS), rather than through the costly and time-consuming court system. Moving one case from a judge and several court clerks to RTDRS arbiters is expected to save a resident and the justice system $5,000 or more. An Alberta Party government would also protect mobile home renters from drastic rent increases.

Resolve Residential Tenancy Disputes Faster

  • Expand the purview of Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (RTDRS) to bring all housing disputes (mobile home tenants and landlords, condo owners and condo boards, and those housed through housing cooperatives) under a single system to reduce duplication and costs.

  • Consult on modernization of the Mobile Home Sites Tenancies Act to better protect those who rent mobile homes, and mobile home owners who rent sites from landlords.

  • Diverting a single tenancy dispute from a court to RTDRS is estimated to save at least 10 hours of time for a judge, courtroom staff, court clerks, and over $4,000 in taxpayer costs. Tenants and landlords also avoid costs hire legal counsel or file documents, and have their disputes resolved in a few weeks, compared to months to years through the court system.

    • Alberta courts do not track the number of cases concerning tenancies.

    • Diverting 100 cases a year to informal resolutions or hearings through RTDRS would free up 1,000 hours of court time and $400,000 in court costs.

  • We would fund a modest increase to RTDRS to accommodate a modest increase in demand. Mobile homes make up 3% of all private dwellings in Alberta, while fewer than 10% of all private dwellings in Alberta are condos.

  • Contraventions of provincial acts would still be handled through Service Alberta and our legal system.

“Over 100,000 Albertans who live in over 48,000 mobile homes will receive better protection against unreasonable rent increases that are already available to tenants of single family homes and apartment suites. Capping rent increases means keeping seniors and low-income renters in homes and off the streets, and avoids the personal, social, and financial costs to support and re-home individuals and families.” - Diane Ly, Alberta Party candidate Edmonton-Goldbar

Cap rent increases on mobile homes

  • Rent on mobile home sites will be limited to once per year, instead of once every 180 days.

  • For renters on fixed incomes, the maximum rent charged for the mobile home site, combined with rent or mortgage, shall not exceed 30% of adjusted income.

  • For market renters, the maximum annual increase will be limited to the annual rate of inflation, up to a maximum of $250 over five years. Increases above this amount will require approval from the Minister of Housing after the landowner submits a social impact assessment.