Draft Policy Statement - Energy Dependent Processes
Energy Dependent Processes
Whereas Alberta should host opportunities that arise as a result of Alberta's CCUS real-estate.
- Alberta's CCUS real-estate is uniquely positioned for enabling the hosting of energy dependent industry processes such as "green steel" and pyrometallurgical.
Be it resolved that:
- Alberta Party will partner with industry to co-locate energy dependent processes closer to Hydrogen production.
- Alberta Party will partner with industry to co-locate CO2 emitting processes closer to CCUS infrastructure.
- The climate change initiatives that lead to the reduction of the use of coal for coking introduces the need for current steel manufacturing to convert to a “green steel” process that uses hydrogen. It would be more economically viable to have the “green steel” industry build co-located “green steel” manufacturing near the source of the hydrogen to reduce pipelining of hydrogen.
- Co-located pyrometallurgical CO2 emitting processes reduces the CCUS pipelining infrastructure.