Welcome to Alberta Program
2019 Provincial Election Platform Policy
Alberta Party Leader Stephen Mandel announced how an Alberta Party government will aggressively bring jobs and head offices back to Alberta.
“British Columbia has been a poor partner in Confederation, hijacking access to the coast while bleeding jobs and wealth away from Alberta. The NDP has done nothing to stop this. When I’m Premier, we’re going to stop giving our lunch money away to the bully, and aggressively bring jobs and head offices back to Alberta.”
WELCOME TO ALBERTA PROGRAM
- The Welcome to Alberta Program will aggressively work to bring corporate head offices to Alberta. A corporation relocating its head office from another jurisdiction to Alberta will receive a corporate tax holiday for two years. A corporation that relocates its head office from British Columbia to Alberta will receive a corporate tax holiday for three years.
- To be eligible, the corporation must relocate its corporate head office to an Alberta address, and employ 250 or more individuals, who are residents and paying taxes in Alberta. When conditions are met, the corporate tax holiday period will commence.
- The corporation must maintain 250 or more employees in Alberta throughout the
corporate tax holiday period to remain eligible. A corporation that fails to maintain
this requirement will forfeit the corporate tax holiday and be required to pay the
applicable corporate tax with interest.
- The corporation must commit to keeping its head office in Alberta for a minimum of five years from the start of the corporate tax holiday period. A corporation that leaves before the end of the five-year commitment period will forfeit the corporate tax holiday and be required to pay the applicable corporate tax with interest.
- Corporate head offices are significant boosters of the economy. In addition to directly employing large numbers of skilled individuals, they also stimulate the growth of small businesses, help establish clusters of industrial activity, generate spin-off activity (such as restaurants and hotel rooms), and contribute to local communities through charitable donations, partnerships with nonprofits, and other corporate social responsibility efforts.