Alberta Party Leader Stephen Mandel announced that an Alberta Party government would cancel the NDP carbon tax for families, small business, farms, non-profit organizations and municipal governments. Large industrial emitters would still be required to reduce their emissions annually under a properly structured carbon price.
“Carbon pricing should be focused on actually reducing emissions. The NDP’s carbon tax is nothing more than a cash cow designed to fund their pet projects, and it unfairly penalizes families for living in Alberta. We don’t have a choice on whether to heat their homes in winter. It’s unfair to punish Albertans for driving their cars when we are geographically spread out. Our system stops punishing moms and dads for living their lives and raising their families, and instead rewards industries that make concrete efforts to actually reduce carbon emissions.” - Alberta Party Leader Stephen Mandel
Our comprehensive environmental plan includes a more effective carbon pricing regime requiring large emitters to take responsibility. It cancels the tax to families and small businesses.
Stop Penalizing Families and Households
- Alberta families would no longer pay the carbon tax on home heating. This recognizes the climate realities in Alberta.
- The existing NDP carbon tax would be eliminated for businesses that emit less than 100,000 tonnes of greenhouse gases. The existing NDP carbon tax would be eliminated on gasoline and propane used in vehicles and heating.
- Businesses emitting less than 100,000 tonnes of GHGs would have the ability to opt-in to the system to generate carbon credits they can sell to large emitters for profit on open carbon markets.
- The Alberta Party’s carbon price would apply to aviation fuel, locomotive fuel, fuel used in resource extraction, and large scale industrial emissions.
Properly Structured Carbon Price
- An Alberta Party government would encourage the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions. The carbon price will be focused on large industrial emitters (those who emit more than 100,000 tonnes of greenhouse gases).
- Revenues from large emitters would continue to flow to Energy Efficiency Alberta, to support individuals and small businesses to make positive changes in energy efficiency and reduce their carbon footprints.
Stop Penalizing Non-Profits & Municipalities
- The existing NDP carbon tax would be eliminated for non-profits and municipal governments.
- This recognizes non-profits undertake social and charitable objectives, often with limited resources. This elimination enables them to maximize resources for front-line services in Alberta communities.
- Non-profits that have the capacity to address their carbon footprints could participate in the carbon market by generating and selling carbon credits.
- Municipalities deliver essential services to Albertans and are funded largely from tax revenues from residents. It makes no sense divert those funds away from municipal services to an NDP slush fund.
Fairness for Rural Albertans
- An Alberta Party government will eliminate the requirement for a farm to have minimum annual farm commodity production incomes in order to purchase marked fuel.
- This will remove an administrative burden from farmers, removing the existing NDP carbon tax on fuel for most rural Albertans. It will also encourage the pursuit of new kinds of agriculture, and hobby farms.
- Currently, marked fuel is only available to farms producing at least $10,000 per year, or $5,000 to $9,999 if the only other significant sources of income are Canada Pension Plan or Old Age Security.