Albertans Denied All-Party Television Debate
Posted on April 16, 2015 by Meagan Wade
Albertans want to hear from the Alberta Party
Earlier today, the Alberta Party learned that Global Television decided to exclude the Alberta Party from the television debate. Global Television issued the following statement: “As with previous debates, only the leaders of the parties with elected members in the Legislature at dissolution will participate”.
The Alberta Party strongly believes that Alberta Party leader, Greg Clark, should be included in the debate for the following reasons:
- The Alberta Party is a legitimate, mainstream party as demonstrated in the 2014 by-elections and the 2012 general election.
- Thousands of Albertans have expressed interest in the Alberta Party and want to see Greg in the debate. The television debate is the only opportunity for Albertans to hear from all the party leaders at same time.
- The Alberta Party and Greg Clark are regularly featured in media stories throughout the province, including Global Television.
- The Alberta Party has been included in the CBC’s Vote Compass project.
- The Alberta Party is regularly included in public opinion polls and surveys.
- According to publicly available information, the Alberta Party is currently running as many or more candidates than the Alberta Liberal Party.
- Sitting MLA, Laurie Blakeman, has been nominated as an Alberta Party candidate.
This backroom system has to go
The Alberta Party believes that there needs to be an independent, publicly accountable body to determine the rules for participation in the debate. These rules appear to change every election. For example:
- In 2012, even though the Alberta Party had a sitting member of the legislature, television executives decided that having a sitting MLA was insufficient and denied the Alberta Party a seat in the debate.
- In 1997, the NDP was allowed to participate in the debate, even though they had no sitting members of the legislature.
You can help!
We will make sure that Global Television is aware of our objections to being excluded from the debate. However, the best way to ensure that this never happens again is to help elect Alberta Party MLAs.