Time to Respect our Students
April 16, 2012
EDMONTON - Everyone acknowledges that education is the key to a successful career and a fulfilling life. In today’s ever-changing world Albertans must have the skills to adapt. Sadly, Alberta has the dubious distinction of having the worst high school completion rate in Canada and the lowest participation rate for post-secondary education. We believe we must do better.
Focus on the tough problems:
- Restore programs for children with learning disabilities.
- Implement a comprehensive strategy to increase to improve our high school completion rate to Canada’s best within 10 years.
Make schools a hub of the community:
- Facilitate the sharing of resources for school construction, maintenance and operation among municipalities, school boards and community groups.
Make it easier to get a post-secondary education:
- Expand training and apprenticeship programs to address labour shortages.
- Implement a tax credit to offset a portion of housing costs for students and their families.
We need to ensure that education receives stable and predictable funding to allow our students to reach their potential and make Albertans the best educated people in the world.
Read our Education policy here: http://www.albertaparty.ca/education
For further information please contact:
Meagan Wade, Media Relations