Learn more about Greg >

News & Issues

Disaster Recovery Program $413 Million under budget, more than half of surplus came from unspent flood money

Posted on July 30, 2015 by Meagan Wade

Calgary (July 30 2015): The Disaster Recovery Program was $413 million under budget last year, giving the province ample room to fund the worst snow disaster in Calgary’s history, says Alberta Party Leader Greg Clark.

“The 2014/2015 Municipal Affairs Annual Report shows the Disaster Recovery Program was underspent by $413 Million last year,” said Clark. “There is more than enough room to provide support to cities when significant disasters occur.

“And make no mistake, this was a disaster. The City of Calgary opened the Emergency Operations Centre, which is the very definition of a disaster.”

Clark noted that more than half the reported surplus comes from unspent flood money.

“In addition to the $413 that went unspent on DRP there was $200 million allocated to flood mitigation that was also not spent.”

“Anyone who was in Calgary during the September snowstorm knows this was a disaster. The province should pay its share.”

– 30 –

For an interview please contact:

Natasha Soles
Communications Coordinator
Alberta Party Caucus
(780) 722-4733




Showing 2 reactions

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.
  • commented 2015-07-30 18:23:48 -0600
    $200 MILLION allocated for the flood and NOT spent!!! What a SLAP in the face for flood victims such as myself who have “fallen through the cracks” and received absolutely NOTHING from insurance or DRP!! We are STRUGGLING to survive day to day and there is $200 MILLION collecting interest somewhere. The interest alone could probably pay for (or make a big dent) in the cost of Snowtember. Disgusted!
  • commented 2015-07-30 12:33:41 -0600
    Interesting commentary… no wonder Mayor Nenshi is so upset!

Digital presence by Stafraen Digital  •  Created with NationBuilder