We can dream bigger. The Alberta Party 2012 Election Platform
Posted on March 22, 2012 by Richard Einarson
We had a dream.
The Alberta Party released We Can Dream Bigger, our 2012 election platform, in March 2012. This document represented a significant milestone for us. Two years prior, a small group of committed volunteers gathered together in Red Deer and decided that Alberta needed a different kind of political party: A party that was more open and transparent; a party that would engage citizens in a different way.
The pundits told us that it would never work. You need polling. You need money. You need “experts”. With the release of We Can Dream Bigger, we defied conventional wisdom and proved them wrong.
Read We Can Dream Bigger - Alberta Party Platform - Election 2012
A different kind of political party.
The Alberta Party was built through a massive citizen engagement project called The Big Listen, which involved Albertans from all parts of the province in a discussion about their hopes and dreams for the future.
This wasn’t easy. We had little money and had to be innovative. So we did it the old fashioned way. We met people in their living rooms and backyards. We listened to people and exchanged ideas. We were amazed by how many of you - over a thousand - were willing to take the time to talk about the future of our province.
We will campaign differently.
We believe in doing politics differently, thus we are going to run our campaigns differently:
- We will be constructive. We will offer solutions to the challenges that Albertans face and not just complain about what doesn’t work.
- We will be respectful. We won’t be running any nasty attack ads. We want to encourage citizens to participate in our democracy, not turn them off.
- We will be positive. It is too easy to fall into a negative campaign. We want politics to be better, so we will be better politicians.
- We will listen. We don’t have all the answers. We want to test our ideas with Albertans and make them better.
Alberta can be the best place to live.
We learned a lot through The Big Listen. We learned that Albertans love this province and that they are grateful for what we have. We learned about their hopes and dreams for the future and we also learned about what was keeping them up late at night.
Most significantly, we heard loud and clear that few believe that our province has reached its potential. Albertans told us that this province could be the best place to live and they wanted leadership that dreamed bigger.
Inspired by this desire to make Alberta better, the Alberta Party brings 5 key objectives to the 2012 election campaign:
- Rethink healthcare: Albertans can be the healthiest people in Canada.
- Respect our students: Albertans can be the best-educated people in the world.
- Reimagine our democracy: Alberta can have the most open and transparent government.
- Reinvigorate our economy: Alberta can be the best place to earn a living.
- Reinvest in our communities: Alberta’s communities can be the best places to live and raise a family.
Within each of these key objectives you will find our ideas. These ideas formed the foundation of our platform for the 2012 provincial election. We believed firmly that all of these objectives were achievable through the collective effort of all Albertans. All we needed was the courage and the leadership to get started. We still need that courage and we believe that we have it.
Download our 2012 Policy Platform
We want to hear from you.
As you read through our ideas, we want to hear what you think. We also want to hear your ideas about how Albertans can dream bigger and achieve each of our targets. Visit www.albertaparty.ca to join the conversation and post your ideas today.
Together, we can renew Alberta!