Environment Policy: We need to keep our air and water clean
Posted on April 19, 2012 by Richard Einarson
As we enter into the final few days of the campaign, it has been disappointing that the environment has not emerged as a major issue. In order to make Alberta the best place to live, our citizens need a government that understands that strong environmental stewardship and a strong economy are complementary - rather than competing - objectives. We believe that protecting and enhancing our environment is critical in our quest to make Alberta the best place to live.
Climate change is real. Ignoring it won’t make it go away.
The Alberta Party acknowledges that climate change is a real issue, and that Alberta has an obligation to act responsibly. While some environmentalists target the oilsands, virtually everyone ignores the fact that the vast majority of Alberta’s greenhouse gas emissions arise from coal-powered generation plants. We will:
- Gradually shift electrical generation away from coal powered generation to distributed generation systems powered by natural gas, wind, solar and co-generation systems.
- Require that emission standards for coal-fired plants match those of natural gas plants after a reasonable phase in period.
- Encourage and implement policies that facilitate the commercial viability of natural gas vehicles.
- Implement a regulatory framework and incentives that reduce per capita electrical consumption.
- Work with stakeholders to implement a strategy that requires electrical generation to meet international greenhouse gas emission targets by 2024.
- Work with stakeholders to incorporate a gradually increasing price on carbon.
- Identify and protect green spaces, which are Alberta’s natural carbon sinks.
We need to treat water like a precious resource.
Water is a finite resource that requires prudent management. With a growing population, increasing industrial demands and climate change, there will be tremendous pressure placed on our limited water resources. We will:
- Identify, establish and increase the inventory of protected wetlands.
- Establish a “no net loss” policy with respect to the protection of wetlands.
- Work with industry to reduce the industrial use of fresh water and promote water conservation solutions.
- Create incentives for industry and households to substantially reduce water consumption.
- Develop water management plans for all major watersheds.
By working with all stakeholders, we can develop and implement effective policies that protect our environment and our prosperity for future generations.
All of our hard work is starting to pay off and the Alberta Party's message is spreading faster than ever. Please use the social media buttons below this post to share our Environment message with your friends and family.
Have a wonderful day folks!
Leader, Alberta Party
Candidate, West Yellowhead
PS- In case you missed it, we have just confirmed that we are super-close to winning seats on Monday - and we need your help today to get us over the top. Also, Advance Voting began today - all eligible voters can vote today, Friday and Saturday at advance polling locations across the province - learn more.
Help us spread our message to more Albertans - please make a donation to the Alberta Party, any amount you can afford from $5 - $250 will be gratefully accepted.