The Alberta Party Caucus is looking for a full time Research Assistant. The Alberta Party Caucus office is a collaborative, fast-paced and dynamic environment. We are looking for a team player who fits in well with our existing staff in the Legislative Assembly office in Edmonton. The successful applicant will be able to research issues as assigned and is also proactive, identifying emerging issues of interest to Albertans.
This position is responsible for researching, analyzing and preparing information, reports and briefing packages for the Alberta Party Caucus. Reporting to the Leader the Researcher is responsible for providing comprehensive and timely research services in addition to drafting materials for the Alberta Party Caucus on a variety of issues.
- Compile accurate, relevant and timely information according to the research needs and objectives of the Alberta Party Caucus.
- Define topics, clarify research needs and objectives; determine approach, time frames and appropriate presentation and reporting methods
- Collect data on assigned topic or project in a thorough and comprehensive manner
- Review and analyze files, periodicals, legislation, computerized databases and other literature sources for relevance to the subject area
- Evaluate data using standard statistical analysis techniques, formulae and general interpretation for desired results
- Organize and summarize data into charts, graphs, text and prepare appropriate reports, discussion and briefing papers for the Caucus
- Projects are organized and tracked to concisely convey status updates to the Caucus
- Prepare a variety of materials for use by the Alberta Party Caucus.
- Draft questions, member statements, reports, briefing papers, speaking notes and speeches for MLA(s) as required, with consideration to the MLA(s) best interests and political sensitivity
- Draft correspondence for the MLA(s) as required to ensure the position of the Caucus is accurately reflected
- Identify and refer issues, invitations, meetings or urgent matters requiring immediate attention of the MLA(s)
- Support Caucus in order to meet goals and objectives.
- Support MLA(s) in preparation for and during sessions of the Legislature
- Contribute as an active team member to office operations and initiatives with a high degree of professionalism
- Ensure confidentiality of all reports, correspondence and information within the Caucus
- Participate in special projects as required by the MLA, in addition to regular assignments
- Represent the MLA(s) at meetings or events, on or off site, as required
- Ensure effective communications are maintained within the team and that MLA(s) are kept current on initiatives, projects and issues
- Must have knowledge and experience in current and emerging Alberta and Canadian public policy issues
- Experience working in a Legislative office is an asset but not required
Closing Date: August 5, 2015 at 4:00 pm
Please forward resumes to:
We thank all that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.