The Alberta Party Caucus is looking for a sessional Budget Analyst to work full time in the Alberta Party Caucus office at the Alberta Legislature from September 2015 through April 2016. The Alberta Party Caucus office is a collaborative, fast-paced and dynamic environment. We are looking for a team player who fits in well with our existing staff in the Legislative Assembly office in Edmonton. The successful applicant will be able to research issues as assigned and is also proactive, identifying emerging issues of interest to Albertans.
This position is responsible for researching, analyzing and preparing budget information, reports and briefing packages for the Alberta Party Caucus. Reporting to the Leader the Budget Analyst is responsible for providing comprehensive and timely research services on government budgets and Annual Reports in addition to drafting materials for the Alberta Party Caucus on a variety of budget and financial issues.
- Compile accurate, relevant and timely information according to the research needs and objectives of the Alberta Party Caucus.
- Define topics, clarify research needs and objectives; determine approach, time frames and appropriate presentation and reporting methods
- Collect data on assigned topic or project in a thorough and comprehensive manner
- Review and analyze files, periodicals, legislation, computerized databases and other literature sources for relevance to the subject area
- Evaluate data using standard statistical analysis techniques, formulae and general interpretation for desired results
- Organize and summarize data into charts, graphs, text and prepare appropriate reports, discussion and briefing papers for the Caucus
- Projects are organized and tracked to concisely convey status updates to the Caucus
- Prepare a variety of materials for use by the Alberta Party Caucus.
- Evaluate past and current budgets to help the Alberta Party caucus communicate with Albertans the important details in the budget, and to propose alternatives where those are in the best interests of Albertans
- Evaluate the relationships between major program changes and the financial status of government ministries
- Employ cost-benefit analysis to review Ministry Consolidated Financial Statements, assess program tradeoffs, and explore alternative funding and expenditure methods.
- Provide leadership for budget preparation, formulation and presentation of Caucus alternative budget
- Evaluate the performance of ministries and find opportunities for efficiencies in budgets as proposed
- Make recommendations on budget-related legislation for Caucus
- Support Caucus in order to meet goals and objectives.
- Support MLA(s) in preparation for and during sessions of the Legislature
- Contribute as an active team member to office operations and initiatives with a high degree of professionalism
- Ensure confidentiality of all reports, correspondence and information within the Caucus
- Participate in special projects as required by the MLA, in addition to regular assignments
- Represent the MLA(s) at meetings or events, on or off site, as required
- Ensure effective communications are maintained within the team and that MLA(s) are kept current on initiatives, projects and issues
- Must have knowledge and experience in current and emerging Alberta and Canadian public policy issues
- Must have extensive knowledge of provincial government budgets and annual reports
- Experience working in a Legislative office is an asset but not required
Closing Date: August 5, 2015 at 4:00 pm
Please forward resumes to:
We thank all that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.