Adopted February 22, 2015
The Alberta Party government will, in consultation with Aboriginal people, undertake a comprehensive review of the Ministry of Aboriginal Relations to provide integrated services and recognition of constitutional and legal rights for all aboriginal people across government agencies and throughout the diverse Aboriginal communities.
The Alberta Party government will complete an inventory of the land base required to sustain production of food products that feed our population and is a source of export based income, and develop a strategy and plan to retain land for agricultural production.
- The Alberta Party government will make all public information accessible to Albertans through an “open-data” framework. It is the government’s responsibility to provide access to all information pertinent to the province’s governance. It is the government’s responsibility to prove when data needs to remain confidential.
- The Alberta Party government will ensure that government departments are appropriately funded to support ‘open-data’ processes.
- The Alberta Party government will implement policy so that all surveys, reports or research paid for by the Government of Alberta will be made public by placing them on the Government’s website with a hard copy available upon request.
- The Alberta Party government will ensure that records of meetings between Government and Lobbyists are public.
- The Alberta Party government will lower the voting age from 18 years to 16 years.
- The Alberta Party government will introduce legislation to regulate the use of “robocalls” or high volume or other automated calling by political parties, or agents, surrogates or volunteers.
- Immediately after the next election, Alberta Party MLAs shall request an all-party committee be formed in order to report to the Legislature within 12 months, with recommendations for reform to a system by which Albertan’s select members of the Legislative Assembly. The committee shall solicit expert advice, significant citizen input, and shall consider all possible reforms including, without limitation, a preferential balloting system and/or forms of proportional representation, with the overall goal of increasing voter participation and more fairly representing the electoral preferences of Albertans
The Alberta Party government will defend the rights of all Albertans regardless of race, religious belief, colour, gender, gender identity, physical disability, mental disability, age, ancestry, place of origin, marital status, source of income, family status or sexual orientation of that person or class of persons.
- The Alberta Party government will institute a progressive personal income tax in Alberta.
- The Alberta Party government will increase the current amount of the Alberta carbon tax.
- The Alberta Party government will ensure market access for Alberta’s resources by supporting pipeline projects such as Energy East and Keystone XL.
- The Alberta Party government will investigate all models for alternate sources for government revenue.
- The Alberta Party government will diversify Alberta’s economy through tourism, green energy, and other economic growth factors.
- The Alberta Party will eliminate, over time, Alberta’s small business tax.
- The Alberta Party government will end mandatory school fees, making schools more accessible for all Albertans, and reducing the administrative burden on school staff.
- The Alberta Party government will provide sustainable, consistent, adequate funding for optimum class sizes and the best possible teachers and resources to meet the needs of all of Alberta’s students.
- The Alberta Party government will increase annual, guaranteed funding proportionate with population growth and inflation. Funding must be stable to allow for long-term planning.
- The Alberta Party government will provide targeted funding for educational assistants to increase the human supports for students with special needs.
- The Alberta Party government will build new schools. This includes a plan for new schools over the next five years as needed, over and above those that are already planned.
- The Alberta Party government will depoliticize building decisions by funding new schools according to enrolment numbers.
- The Alberta Party government will allocate a capital budget to boards to maintain aging school buildings.
- The Alberta Party government will encourage the sharing of resources, such as bussing, between overlapping school districts to reduce duplication of services.
- The Alberta Party government will restructure the current curriculum redesign to include systematic review, research, consultation and subsequent updates. Current processes are too rushed, and run the risk of turning students into test subjects.
- The Alberta Party government will reduce the weighting of Diploma examinations to 30% of a students’ final grade.
- The Alberta Party government will continue the Student Learning Assessment initiative, removing obstacles to its success, and commit to the complete phase-out of Provincial Achievement Tests.
- The Alberta Party government will support a change in philosophy to 100% publicly funded Health Care, taking the necessary steps to achieve this gradually over a period of time.
- The Alberta Party government will support implementing changes to the Patient Information System so that all patient information will be accessible anywhere in the province when a patient needs care.
- The Alberta Party government will implement Alberta Health Services funded Primary Care Centers in every region of the province where health care practitioners and services will be available in one location to provide equitable access and efficiencies for patients and medical personnel.
- The Alberta Party government will increase resources to support the mental health of Albertans.