2018 Leadership Election Rules
Posted on December 04, 2017 by Robbie Kreger-Smith
On behalf of the Provincial Board of Directors, the Leadership Election Committee is pleased to announce our rules and procedures for the upcoming Leadership contest.
Having received feedback from Constituency Associations, members, and volunteers that additional time was desired to complete the leadership race, the Provincial Board of Directors has extended the date of the close of the Leadership Race as outlined below.
NOTICE TO MEMBERS
We are pleased to provide the following information to members of the Alberta Party with respect to the rules and procedures for the upcoming Leadership contest.
Leadership Election Committee (LEC)
The following members comprise the LEC and are committed to remaining neutral and running a fair leadership process:
- Pat Cochrane
- Susan Elliott
- Rob Dunseith – Chief Returning Officer
- Jackie Clayton – Candidate Liaison
- Jeremy Strautman – Manager, Budget and Finance
- James Teterenko – Manager, IT
- Stephanie Shostak – Manager, Membership Integrity and Validation
- Robbie Kreger-Smith – Manager, Communications
- David Benson – Manager, Marketing
- Cynthia Williams – Manager, Events and Announcement
- In order to vote, persons must be members in good standing of the Alberta Party:
- 16 years of age as of February 12, 2018
- Ordinarily resident in Alberta (including students who are temporarily residing outside of Alberta to attend school)
- A permanent resident of Alberta by definition of the Elections Act
- For clarity, members do not need to be a Canadian citizen – permanent residency is required
- Must support the principles and values of the Alberta Party, as enumerated in the Alberta Party Constitution 3(a)
- In order to vote in this leadership contest, persons must become members no later than noon on February 12, 2018
- Membership sales will be online only effective December 8, 2017. No paper memberships will be accepted. No cash sales. If a person is unable to purchase online, or does not have a credit card, he/she may call 1-888-503-1350 to make alternate arrangements which will include providing copies of government-issued identification.
- The same credit card may not be used for more than five memberships. If a family larger than five requires assistance in purchasing more than five cards on a single credit card, please call 1-888-503-1350 for assistance. Note that everyone in the group MUST be immediately related and live at the same address. ID showing names and address of each new member may be requested.
- Voting will be one-person-one-vote, province-wide
- The ballot will be preferential*
- Voting will begin at noon on Sunday, February 25 (MST) and conclude promptly at noon on Tuesday, February 27 (MST).
- Qualified voters with up-to-date contact information provided to the Alberta Party will receive a PIN and further instructions after the close of memberships on February 12 and prior to the start of voting on February 25.
- People are urged to purchase memberships well in advance of the deadline, and to vote early in the voting window. In the event a voter encounters technical difficulties, the LEC will do its best to resolve those issues before the deadlines, but members are always well advised to leave sufficient time to resolve any problems that could occur.
* A preferential ballot means that voters will place the candidates in order of preference (1, 2, 3, 4 etc.). After counting all of the first ballot choices, if no candidate has received 50% +1 of the votes, the bottom candidate will be dropped off, and his or her first ballot votes will be reallocated to the candidates who were marked as #2 on those ballots, and so on until one candidate receives 50% + 1 of the votes.
A person who wishes to become a candidate in the leadership race must:
- Be a member in good standing for one year prior to January 15, 2018 (note that the board may waive this requirement at its discretion and will consider a request to do so when reviewing a properly completed candidate application).
- Submit a completed application form (available from the LEC) no later than 5 PM on January 15, 2018. To request an application form, you may e-mail the LEC at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
- As part of the application form, candidates must include 30 signatures of Alberta Party members, with at least five from each of the six regions:
- North West
- North East
- For a list of constituencies in each district, please see http://www.albertaparty.ca/ca
- Signatures will be accepted that have been faxed or scanned so long as they are accompanied by the printed name and address, with telephone number and e-mail address, to permit verification. We recommend that candidates submit more than the minimum number of signatures in case any names cannot be verified
- Members signing candidate papers do not need to have been a member for any minimum period of time, other than the time it takes to be registered as a member on the party’s database. For clarity, that means a person may buy a membership online at the party’s website and then sign candidate papers when they receive their membership confirmation e-mail.
- The Alberta Party Board has the absolute authority to accept candidates at their own discretion.
- If the candidacy is approved by the Board, the candidate must pay an initial non-refundable fee of $2,500 and a refundable $2,500 good behaviour bond upon being approved. Upon paying the deposits, the candidate may receive a copy of the membership list as of January 15, 2018. Further information regarding the circumstances under which the refundable bond may be forfeited will be included in the candidate contract, which must be signed upon being approved as a candidate.
- A candidate may submit the application and fee in advance of January 15. If he or she does so, and is approved and signs the candidate contract, he or she will receive a copy of the membership list as of the day he or she is approved; and a subsequent updated copy on January 15.
- The remaining non-refundable deposit of $2,500 plus refundable good behaviour bond of $2,500 is due and payable by 5:00 pm on January 31, 2018. This will bring the total candidate payments to $10,000. If these payments have not been made in full by that date and time, the candidate will not be placed on the ballot, and any non-refundable payment made to that date will be retained by the Alberta Party, with any refundable bond payment being refunded, subject to good behaviour.
- Candidates who are approved and have paid the fees will receive a copy of the final voting list as quickly after February 12, 2018 as possible.
- In addition to the fees noted above, candidates will report their donations and pay 15% of their value to the central party to support the cost of administering the leadership race. Further details about reporting and payment will be provided in the candidate contract.
- Candidates are responsible for understanding and fulfilling their obligations under the Electoral Finances and Contribution Disclosure Act including, but not limited to, appointing a Chief Financial Officer, registering with Elections Alberta as a Leadership Contestant, and filing financial statements as required.
SUMMARY – KEY DATES
January 15, 2018 – final date for candidates to submit applications to run. Applications may be submitted earlier.
December 2017 through January 2018 – Upon approval, candidates must pay the first installment of fees ($5,000 total; half as a refundable bond), and will receive a copy of the membership list as at that date, and an updated copy on January 15, 2018.
January 31, 2018 – Candidates must pay the second installment of fees by 5 PM ($5,000 total; half as a refundable bond).
February 12, 2018 at noon – final point at which persons may become members and qualify to vote in the leadership race
February 13, 2018 – (or as quickly thereafter as possible) Candidates will receive a final voters list
February 13 through February 24, 2018 – qualified voting members with current contact information in the membership database will receive PINs and voting instructions
February 25, 2018 at noon – voting opens online
February 27, 2018 at noon – voting closes
February 27, 2018 at approximately 6:00 PM – Announcement of Results